Lockdown with a chef: SOURdough pancakeS
Head Chef, Trent Watson, is keeping busy during the COVID-19 lockdown by testing out some new dishes and keeping his lovely wife, Bianca, well fed (while she captures these images for us). The first recipe he has shared are these savoury Sourdough Pancakes, a take on a classic breakfast dish with the options to make it vegan.
- 50g sourdough starter
- 100g flour
- 100g milk – soy if vegan
- 2 eggs – omit if vegan
- 25g melted butter – coconut oil if vegan
- 5g salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
Note: I recommend using egg rings or pastry cutters
- In a large bowl, mix together all of the ingredients (except for the sourdough starter) until the pancake batter resembles a runny texture.
- Add starter to mixture and leave too prove for 1 hour (until it doubles)
- Heat a pan with a minimal amount of oil
- Once the pan is warm, pour the mixture into egg rings or pastry cutters filling them about up about 2/3
- Cook the pancakes until it starts to bubble in the middle then remove the rings and flip
- Cook for another 2-3 minutes until cooked through
Stack the pancakes 2 – 3 high and top with wilted baby spinach, rice paper bacon (or prosciutto for your carnivores) and top with poached eggs or cherry tomatoes.