Recipe: Louisiana Fried Chicken
Sou vide Fried Chicken with Louisiana Pepper Sauce
This week Trent has shared a recipe for sou vide Fried Chicken with Louisiana Pepper Sauce and it looks delicious. Trent, a kiwi native, actually married his wife Bianca in New Orleans, Louisiana and has mentioned his appreciation for Louisiana Creole cuisine a few times. Perhaps that was the inspiration behind this dish? Either way, this fried chicken dish looks delicious and we can’t wait for you to try it out at home. Be sure to let us know if you do by tagging us in our post of sending us a snap of the dish!
Louisiana Fried Chicken
- 2 1/2 lb (1.2 kg) chicken, pieces
- 1 cup (250 mL) buttermilk
- 3/4 cups (175 mL) flour
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) cornmeal (polenta)
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) celery salt
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) pepper
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp (7.5 mL) paprika
- 4 cups (1 L) vegetable oil (for frying)
- Fill sink with warm water
- Season chicken and place in a zip lock bag and submerge in sink till the air is removed (seal tight)
- Warm up water in slow cooker with tea towel submerged so the bags don’t touch the bottom and side of cooker
- Mine sits at around 78 degrees and I cooked for two hours
- Cool chicken
- Place chicken in large, glass bowl or dish; pour buttermilk over it
- Cover chicken and refrigerate for 30 minutes
- In medium bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, salt, celery salt, pepper, paprika and cayenne.
- Dredge chicken pieces in flour, two at a time, turning to coat all sides thoroughly. Set chicken on a rack and let sit for 30 minutes.
- In large, cast iron skillet add oil to fill ¾ inch (2 cm) deep. Over medium-high heat, warm oil to 350°F (175°C), using a kitchen thermometer to test oil temperature.
- Carefully place chicken, skin-side-down in oil. Reduce heat to medium and cook chicken for 15 minutes until nicely browned. Turn chicken and cook for additional 10 minutes, until internal temperature registers 165°F (74°C) on thermometer.
- Remove chicken and drain on paper towels. Cook remaining chicken in same manner until done. Before serving, reheat sauce and pass separately.
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 1 1/4 cups (315 mL) low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 onion, medium, finely-chopped
- 1/2 green pepper, finely-chopped
- 1/2 red pepper, finely-chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) flour
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) salt
- In medium saucepan over medium heat, warm butter
- Stir in onion, red pepper and green pepper
- Stew peppers until soft (about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally)
- Stir in flour and cayenne and cook for 2 minutes (stirring often)
- Gradually stir in chicken broth
- Bring sauce to simmer; reduce heat to low and let cook until thickened (about 5 minutes)
- Add salt; remove from heat and set aside until needed